Back around 1890, long before the Woodmark Hotel was conceived, the Seattle area was home to Atlanta Park, a dance hall for passengers of tour boats that cruised Lake Washington.
In 1901, the site was purchased by Anderson Shipyard, producers of ferries and tugboats. This was the beginning of Kirkland's ship building industry. During the 1920's, Lake Washington Shipyard purchased the site and made the transition from wooden boat building to steel shipbuilding. They constructed a number of steel auto ferries, including the Kalakala, the World's first streamlined vessel. During World War II, the Lake Washington Shipyard built 29 ships for the U.S. Navy and repaired nearly 500 vessels.
In 1946, the shipyard was purchased by Alaska Terminal and Stevedoring, a subsidiary of the Skinner Corporation, and used to moor passenger liners and freighters of the Alaska Steamship Company.
In 1972, David "Ned" Skinner and several local businessmen began plans to bring the NFL to Seattle by developing the area into future headquarters and practice field of the Seattle Seahawks.
The property went through rezoning from 1979 to 1985, allowing for extensive public access and a variety of uses. The Seattle Seahawks, under new ownership, moved a few miles away, prompting the start of the Carillon Point Complex Project, formed by the Skinner Development Company. The complex was named Carillon Point after the specially designed carillon bells located in the main plaza at the edge of the marina.
Today Carillon Point in Kirkland, WA is home to Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa, and a focal point of the local business community outside the Seattle, Washington area. During the day, the carillon bells chime softly every hour, and serve as a beacon for pleasure boats cruising Lake Washington.