Top 5 Ways to Relax
The holiday season is upon us... It is a wonderful, joyous time for many, but it can also be stressful. Here at Still Spa at the Woodmark, we have some tips that can keep you feeling relaxed and refreshed, even in traffic or that long Starbucks line:
1. Breathe: Inhale & exhale. Take a deep breath in to the count of ten, hold to the count of ten, and exhale to the count of ten. Ask yourself: Will this matter next year? 2016 is coming quickly. What may be a stressor now, may just be a moment that you can let pass. View this time of year as a fresh start. A chance to embrace a renewed energy and spirit, ready to take on whatever the day may offer.
2. Grab a cup of herbal tea. Many scientific studies say tea has stress-reducing properties. Just the slowness it creates can soothe a day. Unwind as you wait for the tea to cool, smell the aromas and think of the feelings and memories they create. Enjoy the subtle flavor and let the warmth calm your tired body.
3. Listen to soothing music: Focus on something other than the moment. Let notes or lyrics take you away to a different time and space. Close your eyes and let go. This is especially effective if listening to a favorite song or artist. We play meditative music in the spa, but if you're looking for lyrics, Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" album is lovely.
4. Take a walk outside: Even if you only have ten minutes, walking can refresh your mind. Enjoy your surroundings - look for things that interest you. Let your mind wander as you find yourself letting go of what was bothering you before. Embrace a sense of newness and discovery that can change your day.
5. Read a book: Delve into a new story. Unwind as you learn about new characters, experiences, journeys. Make time for concious exploration and let it create space in your life. In a time that it seems so natural to be busy, let this be one of the reasons you are still.