The Woodmark Story
The name The Woodmark speaks to a long history of shipbuilding on this very site. In the late 1800’s, long before The Woodmark Hotel was conceived, the area was home to Atlanta Park, a dance hall for passengers of tour boats that cruised Lake Washington.
In 1901, the site was purchased by Anderson Shipyard, producers of ferries and tugboats. This was the beginning of Kirkland's ship building industry. During the 1920's, Lake Washington Shipyard purchased the site and made the transition from wooden boat building to steel shipbuilding. They constructed a number of steel auto ferries, including the Kalakala, the World's first streamlined vessel. During World War II, the Lake Washington Shipyard built 29 ships for the U.S. Navy and repaired nearly 500 vessels. In 1946, the shipyard was purchased by Alaska Terminal and Stevedoring, a subsidiary of the Skinner Corporation, and used to moor passenger liners and freighters of the Alaska Steamship Company.
In 1972, with the desire to move from an industrial area to a commercial area, David "Ned" Skinner and several local businessmen began plans to bring the NFL to Seattle by developing the area into future headquarters and practice field of the now beloved Seattle Seahawks. The property went through rezoning from 1979 to 1985, allowing for extensive public access and a variety of uses.
Eventually, the Seattle Seahawks, under new ownership, moved a few miles away, prompting the start of the Carillon Point Complex Project, formed by the Skinner Development Company. The complex was named Carillon Point after the specially designed carillon bells located in the main plaza at the edge of the marina.
Today, Carillon Point in Kirkland, Washington is home to The Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa, and is a focal point of the local business community in the Seattle, Washington area. During the day, the carillon bells chime softly every hour, as a reminder of the area’s history and as a beacon for pleasure boats cruising Lake Washington.